An explicit look into the world of entertainment and how my mind interprets it.

....

Monday, December 7, 2009

Where are our priorities?


As 2009 comes to a close, it's time to look back at everything that has happened throughout the year. If I were to ask you what news stories are most prominent in your mind, what would you say? The death of Michael Jackson? Jon and Kate Gosselin losing their show on TLC due to a divorce? Maybe you're an idol fan and remember Adam Lambert's embarrassing showing during the American Music Awards. Celebrities are a big part of our lives and more times than not, their shenanigans, (I mean news stories..ahem) are what we remember most. And according to Barbara Walter's these celebrities, and a few others including Lady Gaga, Tyler Perry, Brett Favre, Sarah Palin, Jenny Sanford, and Glenn Beck make up her list of most fascinating people of 2009.

Wait, what?

OK, so I can probably get on board with about two of those selections but the rest? It begs for the question, where are our priorities? Now don't get me wrong, I understand that Michael Jackson was an icon and that his death personally affected a lot of people, but to label his kids as the most fascinating of this year is beyond my comprehension. Or saying that an androgynous misfit like Lady Gaga is important enough to grace the list, really saddens me. What saddens me even more is that a large number of people are going to take stock into watching this TV special and will most likely love the choices. So again I ask, where are our priorities? When did celebrities become the focus of our lives? And yes, I realize the irony of that question, as I am someone who writes blogs about the entertainment industry for a living, but I take pride in not letting my world revolve around it.

What makes those celebrities more fascinating than the people that risk their lives everyday to save our country? Have you ever heard of Chelsey Sullenberger? I highly doubt it. What if I told you that Chelsey was the pilot who miraculously saved 150 lives when his US airways plane crashed into the Hudson River. To me, that's a man who is fascinating, along with a number of other ordinary people who risk their lives to save others in need.

So do you have your priorities in order? I guess on December 9th when the special airs, we'll know. This is Ashley reminding you that the schnozberries taste like schnozberries. Ashley out.


3 comments:

  1. Sullenberger's first name is Chesley, not Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I agree with your point. Michael Jackson's death set off a nauseating media circus that lasted for months, while the death of Norman Borlaug was almost completely ignored. Who was Norman Borlaug? Oh, nobody important, just the greatest hero of the 20th century. He didn't record any music videos or win any Grammy awards, but he did save over a billion people from starving to death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the corrections. I'll fix it. The article that I researched had his name spelled wrong. And thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete